CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

01 June 2007

I Got Dressed Yesterday, and Today, Too

I've been struggling. I thought I've been keeping it hidden but since I'm so deceived, I've probably been deceiving myself about that. (See Jeremiah 17:9 about that.) Regardless, of late I've been having a hard time locating a reason to get out of bed, get dressed, or do much of anything constructive. This really is not like me or so I'd like to think.

I think these past 16 months have been a stretch. Who could've foreseen unemployment at this stage of life, let alone 16 months of it? But then, why not? All around me I see people going through much more difficult and significant issues than what's happening in our little corner of life. Why would I think we should be untouched by the effects of a sin-filled world? Why wouldn't it be our turn to be in a position to turn our eyes to Christ and learn what it means to fully trust Him for all our needs? But for God and His gracious kindness and mercy, where would we be? To whom could we turn? Our God is a faithful God and worthy to be praised. He has supplied each and every need, in abundance, and right on time.

I found this little message from Rick Ezell to be helpful. His words bring helpful perspective.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
But It's Mine . . . Wrong!
by Rick Ezell

As subjects of God's kingdom, our time on earth, along with our energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships, and resources are all gifts from God. He has entrusted all these things to our care and management. The first job God gave humans was to manage and take care of God's "stuff" on earth. This role has never been rescinded. Everything we enjoy is to be treated as a trust that God has placed in our hands.

From the beginning of Scripture we are reminded over and over again that God owns it all. He created it. He owns it. It belongs to him.

Yet everyday we face the temptation to play the part of the owner. Here is where the dark side of ownership is manifested, and trusteeship is often abandoned.

In the final book of the trilogy The Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien introduces the tragic figure of Lord Denethor, chief steward of the kingdom of Gondor. Denethor has ordered Gondor's affairs for years while waiting on the coming king. But as he waited, he grew comfortable of the throne-and reluctant to relinquish it. When the new king arrives, Denethor refuses to step down. In the film version, the wise counselor Gandalf rebukes him: "Authority is not given you to deny the rule of the king, Steward." Denethor shouts back: "Rule of Gondor is mine and no other's!"

Desperate to cling to what was not his own, Denethor lost sight of his rightful place. His life is symbolic of the small and pathetic existence of those who forget they are trustees and think of themselves-like God-owners.

God's view of your life and mine is that of a trust. God has never said to humanity, "All this is yours." Instead, he says, "All this is mine. But I am entrusting it to you. Use it to honor and serve me." You and I would be most wise to draw clear lines between investing and exploitation, between management and control, between caretaking and domination, between use and waste. You and I would be well advised to remember that all we possess is a gift from God. It is ours on loan, not ours to own.

Subscription info at www.rickezell.net

3 comments:

Jen A. said...

Welcome back to the race, my friend. Because of God's character, we know that the last 16 months have not been futile or in vain, and the days in your pajamas, no matter how they looked in your eyes, are still days when the word of God did not return void. From how God has been faithful to you, you now have a treasury of hope to give to others that He will put in your path. You're my hero!

onemorestephome said...

This gave me so much strength during Kate's ordeal: Every day I had to choose where to live...and sometimes its ok to live right against the walls! Love you too!!

“If you live inside this massive promise, your life is more solid and stable than Mount Everest. Nothing can blow you over when you are inside the walls of Romans 8:28. Outside Romans 8:28 all is confusion and anxiety and fear and uncertainty.” - Piper
________

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the first born among many brothers.” Rom. 8:28-29

Beth said...

Thank you, dear Sisters, for your love and encouragement. It is inestimable in its value and worth! I love you.