CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

11 January 2008

From Carolyn McCulley's Blog...

This post from Radical Womanhood (which is Carolyn McCulley's blog) is entitled The Rules for Self-Discovery. I thought it was so provoking that I'm posting it in case you didn't see it.--Jennie


For Christmas, one of my friends gave me the leather-bound edition of A.W. Tozer's devotional, The Pursuit of God, The Pursuit of Man. I have really enjoyed it so far. Tozer's vocabulary is denser and more varied than the writers of today, so this devotional has provided much to ponder each day.

One thing I read at the start of the year was Tozer's list titled "Rules for Self-Discovery." Unlike the self-esteem movement of this generation, Tozer was concerned not that we esteem ourselves more highly, but that we esteem God more highly. Where God stands in our affections can be discovered through the answers to this list below. If we want to know better our own weaknesses and affections for this passing world, the answers to these questions will provide illumination.

Rules for Self-Discovery

1. What we want most

2. What we think about most

3. How we use our money

4. What we do with our leisure time

5. The company we enjoy

6. Who and what we admire

7. What we laugh at

If we're honest when we answer, this list can really help us see the hidden motivations of our hearts and the things we value most. It could also be a prayer guide, helping us to see what areas in our lives need the most prayer for godly change. I was struck in particular by the last rule; it really addresses the crass age in which we all live.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Excellent post! Thanks so much. I find I must wrestle with myself to re-focus my gaze to see the big picture on what I'm really supposed to be doing with my life. We really can't say it (or be reminded too much) that "we must preach the gospel daily -- to ourselves!" Satan has it easy most of the time; our culture and our own mindset leave us huffing and puffing after the wrong message(s) and at warp speed.